I like to be shot.

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Lost in translation


I have learned to love this life in Tokyo. Walking into the apartment feels like home. Seeing the lights and the streets of the city no longer feels this amazing foreign place, it all seems normal now. My bedroom back home seems to far away. It's odd to think about... It's a very surreal feeling.
Today I had what I thought was a diet pill ad but it turns out it was not. The company makes health products, sometimes the japanese translate wrong so diet products really mean health. And it wasn't a pill. Everyone here wears knee high socks with dresses and skirts, but these ones also help with circulation. So a lot of the shots are like what you see on the front of legging boxes, the nicely posed legs. And then we did a bit of a shoot outside. It was the fastest most laid back shoot I'd ever done.
It was wonderful.
Normally you are waiting around for ever; hair, make-up, lighting, poses, more lighting etc. If you don't have patience you would kill yourself. So this was a lovely change.
Once we were finished they took me out for lunch which was very nice, once again I loved the people I was working for. Aaaand once again bad translations.
They took me to a place called Bim Bum Bam. (hm..?) turns out it was a lovely pasta place. When I got my spaghetti one of the guys goes. "You are so hot." I just kind of looked at him. Then he said "Your hot, spicy." And pointed to my dish. Then I realized he was telling me it was hot. Rule number 1: Never assume what they say to you the first time is what they mean. Because it's often not. For dessert we ordered Tiramisu, aka: Kyla's favorite. But they were all out. Biggest let down ever. But we still got a delicious slice of chocolate cake, so I was happy.
Afterwards I went back to the apartment only to be whisked off again to a casting. But it was only one so it was painless.
Tomorrow on the other hand is another story. 4:30 wake up time? woo hoo! But it will be worth it because then I am off to the beautiful island of Okinawa. I'm so excited to get away for a bit and see another part of Japan. That being said I wont be able to post anything until I return on Sunday. But I promise to give every detail asap.
Yes this life in Tokyo is a good one. I'm not sure if I'm going to want to break out of this routine when I come home.
It's hard work and often exhausting but it pays off in unimaginable ways.
Which by the way I have more good news! I booked a job with Mazda! It's a three day shoot and I'm a mother. Yup, me my husband and daughter posing in an ad for Mazda. But who knows really, like I said translations aren't always correct so we will have to wait and see what really happens. Either way I'm thrilled.
ps. I'm expecting lots of messages of updates from people when I return(ahem yes that's you reading this right now, I'm sure you can spare 5 minutes to send me a message. It's a two my street, you hear about my life, I want to hear about yours too!)
Thanks, and much love,
Ky.xo

No comments:

Post a Comment