I like to be shot.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Okinawa

4:30 AM. At this time Friday I was up and getting ready to head out to Okinawa. I decided to go with no expectations. They are always wrong. For once I was just going to let it all hit me. During the metro ride there, my agent was talking to me about what my trip might kind of look like. Then he says "Okinawa is tropical, not like Tokyo. You be very careful, many dangerous animals. Don't go in water without shoes and stuff. Things there can and will hurt you." K, buddy, you don't tell this to miss. paranoia. Okay? So now I'm freaking out. Panicking like mad. Just thinking of the things lurking in the waters and forests.
We arrived at the airport and I was quickly assured that my safety was of utmost importance. And this point, I could finally breathe again.
Turns out the day I went to Okinawa was the anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing. Kind of insane to think about. The airport was super busy with tons of people heading to Hiroshima to go to the temples there and pay respect. In a way, I wish I had been one, would have been something to see.



So we get to Okinawa and off we go to shoot almost immediately. Turns out I am the first person, ever to have been shot with this new Olympus camera. Which isn't for sale until October. Which is incredibly flattering. Ken, the only one who could speak english then came up to me and said "We are all very thankful for you being in Japan, we are working because of you. So thank-you. " It was very sweet, I was going to say well I wouldn't have a job unless you hired me so thanks! But his english isn't the best so I just thanked him back.
So we were shooting on a beautiful private beach, In the water, on the sand. For the first time ever I actually felt like a real working model. It was a weird feeling. It felt like this was the kind of shoot you see on TV or people expect, just it's not edited so It's waaaay longer. But I loved every moment. Usually I get really tired and over worked during a shoot, and maybe it was the settings, but I could have gone on forever.
And no worries, there was no creeping things in the water.
At least...there.





The next day we started off with a shoot at a water fall. It was so stunning. I once again had my feet in the water but just my luck I had crayfish walking all over my feet.. Not fun. But for some reason during a shoot I am able to suck it up and deal with it.
Okinawa weather is baazar. It would be killer hot, then just down poor, and when I say down poor I mean you can't see because it's raining so hard. (see video) so sometimes we would shoot, feel the rain, sit for 5 minutes with umbrellas until it passed, then go again.

For lunch they took me to a famous Okinawa noodle house... soooo good.

We then went to the famous Elephant point (rocks look like an elephant) to do more shooting. It was stunning, we then climbed up for the last shots on the top of the cliff. Turns out 3 people have died there while doing a photoshoot. I'm proud to say I shot there, and I lived.
So the shoot was over and we were heading back to the hotel.
But we must remember this rule, no shoot is ever over.
We pulled over to the side of the road and I quickly changed and we shot with the sunset. I thought okay Kyla last chance to whip it out. Result? They were jumping up and down they were so excited with the photos. It felt good, especially because the photographer is apparently a big name in the industry. I was proud to say the least.

So with it finally being over we went for dinner. This time for some Shabu Shabu. Which is raw pork you then boil in water with garlic and other things until it turns white, then dip in your soup and eat.. and you know what, it's pretty good. A little too fatty for my liking but it wasn't bad.



The next day we had lots of time to waste so me and Fumoshi went for a walk on the beach. The way the rocks are and everything was totally stunning. After about an hour we decided to head back due to the fact we couldn't stand the heat any longer. And just like the lovely Okinawa weather would. It started to poor. But I loved it. We were running back and the warm water was pounding on my skin. I almost didn't want to go inside. It was such a rush. I wish rain back home was like that.
We then all hopped in the van and went to check out the market. I got to try local mango (seriously the best thing I have ever had....ever!) Sea grape, a form of seaweed which is actually really good. Tons of sweets, local donuts etc. There are samples of everything! Things I didn't try: pig feet, pig ear, massive lobster, bright blue fish etc. I can only take so much. But then I did get to have some Blue Seal, famous local ice cream. Tiramisu flavored as well, can't get any better then that!






Over all it was an amazing experience. I'm so glad I got to go to a place like that and have that opportunity. I mean going to a tropical island, shooting, site seeing and trying new things all while being paid...Absolutely no complaints there. I am so thankful of this whole trip. Not many can say they have done what I have this summer. I'm very proud and thankful.
But now it's back to reality in Tokyo. And as I say that, I can also say only 16 days left...
Where did 2 months go?!
ps. In the video, it's not cloudy out at all, it's all rain...

Ky.xo

No comments:

Post a Comment